Dashpad Options

Lesabre T-type or other H-body related topics.

Moderators: MICHAEL MEYER, Xtreme/T-Type, custom88, Lo Type

CrpseGrm
New Guy

Dashpad Options

Post by CrpseGrm » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:43 pm

The dashpad on my 87 is horrendously peeling up. It's extremly ugly. Rather than trying so very hard to find another one in excellent condition that's just going to peel up again anyway are there any other ideas out there for fixing the dashpad?

What I was thinking was removing the dashpad and peeling off the foamy vinyl stuff so that it's down to the bare metal or plastic or whatever is underneath. Then simply sanding and painting that piece and reinstalling without the foamy pad. Has anyone tried this before? I'm just wondering what the dash looks like under the foamy vinyl stuff. I'm not looking for a show car look by any means but if it retains the basic shape underneath the foam then I might give this a try. Any input?

bcox
New Guy

Re: Dashpad Options

Post by bcox » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:47 pm

I drive mine without a pad right now. It is a formed plastic under the pad and doesn't look all to bad, but I would like to get some kind of pad. I have been looking at dash covers but I don't know how cheesey it would look. Finding a good dash pad is not easy. ;)

Bill

:btt:
88 T Type 1/4 million + miles and still cruising
Reduilt 3800 Vin C at 245000 miles

CrpseGrm
New Guy

Post by CrpseGrm » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:23 pm

If I painted the formed plastic the same color as the interior do you think someone that never owned a lesabre would be able to tell the pad wasn't there?

MICHAEL MEYER
car:: Other GM

Post by MICHAEL MEYER » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:36 pm

here is what i am gonna do...

i am going to take my pad assy and put some good glue (liquid nails) between it and the plastic frame. then i am gonna use a bunch of screws or rivets to attach the pad to the plastic frame (carefully so it doesnt warp or look funny. then i am going to use black auto carpet (the thinner stuff) and 3m super trim adhesive spray to glue the black carpet onto the dashpad to hide all the screws/rivets and make it look like new (different, but new)
1982 Camaro Z28 Indy Pace Car, 1990 Chevy 454SS Pickup, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ 750 Turbo, 2008 Chevy Silverado, 2010 Mazda CX9

CrpseGrm
New Guy

Post by CrpseGrm » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:50 pm

That's not a bad idea at all, unfortunatly I think my dash is far beyond repair, otherwise I might try that too. It's completly peeled up at the top and cracked in many places. This car unfortunatly was never garaged.

GSXMEN
Advanced Member

Post by GSXMEN » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:36 am

I pulled a good dash pad out of a 2 door LeSabre and will have my brother paint it with the right vinyl paint (he's a body man/painter).

He did one for a 5.0l Mustang last year.....it turned out great!! 8-)

The key is properly cleaning the dash pad and using the right paint materials.

I see excellent condition regular LeSabre dashes on a semi-regular basis at my local yard. If they're that hard to come by - let me know and I'll start pulling them.
Scott

88 LeSabre T-Type

www.v8buick.com

bcox
New Guy

Post by bcox » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:01 pm

GSXMEN
Hell yeah man start pulling them if they are in that good of condition. They are gold. Only problem is shipping to out of state location, gets costly. ;)

B

Last edited by bcox on Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
88 T Type 1/4 million + miles and still cruising
Reduilt 3800 Vin C at 245000 miles

CrpseGrm
New Guy

Post by CrpseGrm » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:07 pm

I'm way to cheap to buy another dash all together, plus shipping adds another 30 bucks. I'm just gonna rip the vinyl/foam off, sand it down real good and smooth and repaint it, probably with that vinyl paint. I hope it comes out decent. I'll post the results when I get around to doing it.

GSXMEN
Advanced Member

Post by GSXMEN » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:57 am

bcox wrote:GSXMEN
Hell yeah man start pulling them if they are in that good of condition. They are gold. Only problem is shipping to out of state location, gets costly. ;)

B

I've got a cherry grey BLT dashpad in the For Sale section. No bites as of yet.

Sad part is.....there's about 4 or 5 more excellent dashes in my local yard. I really can't afford to stock pile more parts if there isn't enough interest in even ONE dash. Running out of extra room too.

If there's interest.....I'll buy all I can get. :btt:
Scott

88 LeSabre T-Type

www.v8buick.com

luvgm
New Guy

Post by luvgm » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:32 pm

My dash on my lesabre was doing the same thing, so I cleaned up the foam and all of the plastic, under the dash so there was not any lose junk that would be between the vinyal and the hard plastic (i usaed rubbing alcohal for this). Then i took some time and put automotive silicone between the two (I used this because it is stronger and more ressitant to wheather), when I did this I streched the dash to were it is supposed to fit clamped it down with vice grips until the adhesive dried. When I clamped I used about 10 pairs of vise grips put wood under them so that it would even out the presure and not mark up the pad from the tension put to it by the vise grips. Along the top of the dash were it is fllat and large I used c-clamp vise grips and a 2x4 so the whole area was even and did not look all lumpy when it was done. It turned out nice when it was done, I took my time so that all of the mounting holes lined up if not then you will have problems getting the dash back on. I will add that it is not perfect but is close and it saves alot of money, and I still have the look of a factory dash.
Certified I-car technican (steering and suspension, air bag, paint, frame, body, etc.)Certified PPG paint technican
Certified Martain senor paint technican
1987 lesabre, 1988 lesabre, 1991 lesabre.1970 nova, 1989 k1500, 1982 280 zx 1994 GMC ext

Dave G
Advanced Member
car:: Other GM

Post by Dave G » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:18 pm

I really need to do something with my dashpad. I may have no rust on my car in cali, but the sun killed the dash. There is no way to repair this one. I was thinking of cutting the vinyl off and using some grey carpeting on it. That way it would just look like it has a dash cover on it. But I still have the problem of the grey inserts also being warped from the sun too. Honestly I would really like to find another dash to just replace this one with. Its just hard to find one out here thats close.

88T-FL
2008 Site Supporter

Post by 88T-FL » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:33 pm

Ran into Mark (Aggie) in a junk yard today and we were talking about this. Dash repair is not too bad, you just have to be patient. I guess you can use silicone adhesive but I did not do too well with it. I stopped at an upholestry place and he recommended Seal-All (red & yellow tube-got mine at Home Depot). A bit messy to work with but great stuff, I have done the dash in both T's and have a spare (actually from my '89) to do. This one was pretty warpped. The grille would not fit in the channel as all the vinyl had lifted. The edges were all curled up too. Not terrible, but I did not think I could fix it and almost trashed it.

Be patient, grab some clamps and some wood strips. Make sure to sand the sharp corners off the wood before you start. Work one section at a time, remove any loose foam but do not go crazy, the glue will seep into a lot of the foam. Put adhesive on both areas to be mated and clamp overnight. The clamping and letting it dry at least overnight are important. Then do the next section. Have lotsa' clamps and several different widths and lenths of wood. Wipe off any glue that gets on the parts that show. The finishing touch is a good scrubbing with a brush, mild detergent and water. Towel dry as you work so you do not get it too wet, let dry in the sun then ArmorAll a couple of times as the dash will be dull after the scrubbing.

Bottom two pics are before and after. The indoor pics look grey/blue, outside look dark grey & silver, but it is my pos digital camera.

[Image

Thanks - Peter
88 BLT, 89 BLT, 89 BLT (Sold and missed), 86 LGN, 86LGN

CaliforniaT
2004 Site Supporter
2004 Site Supporter

Post by CaliforniaT » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:07 pm

you can also try this place: http://www.justdashes.com
'89 Red (mostly) Lesabre T-type. Strut brace otherwise bone stock.

T
Administrator
Administrator
car:: 87 Lesabre T-type

Post by T » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:25 am

Looks good, but what do you do about the shrinking? The hole in my dash is about 1-1/2" too short for the grill.
-T

'87 Lesabre T-type
L67 swap, CAI, STB, 180deg stat, Walbro 307 fuel pump, tranny cooler, Michelin XGT H4s, ZZP 3.4 MPS, AC 41-601 plugs.
PB: 14.447@95.08 (2.299 60ft.)

'88 Lesabre T-type
RIP

For questions concerning Lesabret.com, please e-mail me at lesabret@gmail.com

88T-FL
2008 Site Supporter

Post by 88T-FL » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:57 am

Mine was only lifted/shrunken a small amount where the grille goes. You can see it in the before pic. A previous owner cut some off the ends of the grille to make the grille fit. :o I got a junk yard grill to get the size right and used a blow dryer to heat the vinyl and pushed/stretched it back. I had to get under that area anyway to glue the part that had lifted. I lifted up what I had to and spread glue in with a metal ruler, pulled & clamped it. I only had a little to do though. I have seen some pretty bad dashes and I wouldn't try it with one that is very warpped.

I seem to remember that someone on the board got a dash re-done by justdashes but it was like $700 or $800.

Thanks - Peter
88 BLT, 89 BLT, 89 BLT (Sold and missed), 86 LGN, 86LGN