Major oops!

Lesabre T-type or other H-body related topics.

Moderators: MICHAEL MEYER, Xtreme/T-Type, custom88, Lo Type

Pugulis
Advanced Member

Major oops!

Post by Pugulis » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:53 am

It's been a long time since I've posted, but it's been a busy summer. I was doing a little before inspection maintanance (the car is running like crap). But anyway, I was replacing the pcv valve and when I removed it the bottom part of the gasket droped in :cry: I tried poking around with a grabber but can't find it. Is there anything I can do short of pulling the manifold? I don't think it should be a huge problem because there is a pan that covers the lifters. But I'm still worried.
87' Lesabre T-type, Black, Leather, Factory Sunroof, Buick mud flaps, T shifter, K&N Filter, Ram/Cold air induction. Future mods: Superchip, Turbo.

T
Administrator
Administrator
car:: 87 Lesabre T-type

Post by T » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:08 am

I did this with the valve cover grommet last year. The problem is that usually the grommet is hard and won't pull back through. It may break into piece, but definitely try to get it out without pulling the intake manifold, perhaps one of those grabber tools?

-T

Beck
Advanced Member
car:: Other

Post by Beck » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:41 pm

Ever try a vaccum attachment, or a makeshift one out of a paper plate, etc?

Pugulis
Advanced Member

Post by Pugulis » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:54 am

Thanks for the input. I have one of those grabber tools and will keep trying to get it.
87' Lesabre T-type, Black, Leather, Factory Sunroof, Buick mud flaps, T shifter, K&N Filter, Ram/Cold air induction. Future mods: Superchip, Turbo.

86 2dr.ltd steve
Advanced Member

Post by 86 2dr.ltd steve » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:05 am

wire with hook on it. There can be good feel with one of these "you must become one with the instrument" :D

I cant picture the gasket but if its just material (non metalic) its probably no match for the valves and piston. Not suggesting brushing it off but Ive sent many a wood chip and dust through my Sthils and they love it :lol

If it was mine Id pull the manifold.
86 LeSabre Limited Coupe, 90 Regency FE3 conversion, 90 Ciera Cruiser SL, 97 L67 LSS, 75 Delta 88 Royale convertable

CaliforniaT
2004 Site Supporter
2004 Site Supporter

Post by CaliforniaT » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:33 pm

Is pulling the intake manifold very difficult? I know nothing is as easy as the repair guide makes it out to be, but granted that - how long would it take?
'89 Red (mostly) Lesabre T-type. Strut brace otherwise bone stock.

2seater
Advanced Member

Post by 2seater » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:15 am

The '87 and '89 engines are different, but an afternoon should be all it takes to R&R the intake manifold. Most of the stuff attached to it can be left in place. Fuel lines, coolant hoses, vacuum lines and electrical harnesses will have to come off and possibly an item or two that block access to the fasteners. It will drool antifreeze into the valley, no matter how hard you try to get the coolant out of it but a good wipe down and an oil change shortly after reassembly should be good to go.
Hal twoseater@tds.net 1990 Buick Reatta, turbocharged, Dynomax s/s UltraFlow, hand made turbo manifolds, ceramic coated, 160* t'stat, GM Tuners chip, larger throttle body, relocated MAF, 30# injectors.

GSXMEN
Advanced Member

Post by GSXMEN » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:16 am

I'd highly recommend pulling the intake. If this is a high mileage engine, it would be wise to change the intake gaskets anyways.

I doubt if that brittle grommet would cause any damage, but, there's no sense taking a chance.

Good time to detail the intake!! 8-)
Scott

88 LeSabre T-Type

www.v8buick.com

Pugulis
Advanced Member

Post by Pugulis » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:57 am

Thanks again for all the input. But right now I'm still ttying to track down my other problem. Similar to a couple of the other posts. Hesitation, backfire, but only sometimes and it idles good (sometimes). This all started when my fuel pump went. But with all those problems it's not throwing any codes and just passed inspection 2 days ago.

2seater
Advanced Member

Post by 2seater » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:36 am

Has the pcv been repaired? With a massive vacuum leak it will run very poorly.
Hal twoseater@tds.net 1990 Buick Reatta, turbocharged, Dynomax s/s UltraFlow, hand made turbo manifolds, ceramic coated, 160* t'stat, GM Tuners chip, larger throttle body, relocated MAF, 30# injectors.

Pugulis
Advanced Member

Post by Pugulis » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:22 am

Has the pcv been repaired? With a massive vacuum leak it will run very poorly.
Yes